Monday 7 May 2012

New Waihi Mural, Waihi Junction Stores, est. 1909

Work begins on a new mural to be painted on the old Blue Dairy store front and verandah on S.H.25, East Waihi. There has been a store here since 1909.
Of the original 1909 store only the verandah remains, rebuilt and relocated. It is very handy for me, nice shade and rain shelter..
I made a study of shop architecture and layout from 1900 - 1920 and designed my own grocery store circa 1909 architectural design and 1925 colours.. 
In Opotiki 3 hours drive away across the Bay of Plenty I found a Grocery Store Museum and was able to photograph all the products from a bygone era in glorious living colour in their original packets, boxes and tins.  With these I shall stock the  store and I have already photographed friends of mine who modeled for me in Vintage mid 20's clothes that I hired for the purpose, to be the store owner and customers.
So far it has been an exercise in research and perspective drawing and seemingly endless preparation.
The real mural is about to begin..
There are only two ways to get to the vast and wonderful Coromandel Peninsular tourist playground, one is through Thames and the other is through Waihi, past this mural. The mural will be seen by tens of thousands of people and as the store front and verandah will be fully sign written many a traveler will be fooled and pull up to buy something and curse me.
My name will live in infamy like the Pearl Harbour attack fleet.
A strange juxtaposition that last sentence but I will leave it in just because...


No comments:

Post a Comment